Inflation and the Macroeconomy: Changes from the 1980s to the 1990s
AbstractOver the last 10 years, the level of inflation has been much lower than in the previous two decades. At the same time, the behaviour of inflation has changed profoundly. By surveying the data and the economic research, the author first examines changes in the variability, growth rates, and behaviour of some of the major macroeconomic variables during the 1980s and 1990s. He then looks at how these changes are linked to a shift in the approach of monetary policy over the period. Lastly, he reviews the economic benefits that these changes have had for Canada.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bank of Canada in its journal Bank of Canada Review.
Volume (Year): 2002 (2002)
Issue (Month): Spring ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bordes, C. & Clerc, L., 2004.
"Price Stability and The ECB's Monetary Policy Strategy,"
109, Banque de France.
- Christian Bordes & Laurent Clerc, 2007. "Price Stability And The Ecb'S Monetary Policy Strategy," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(2), pages 268-326, 04.
- Christian Bordes & Laurent Clerc, 2007. "Price Stability and the ECB'S monetary policy strategy," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00308557, HAL.
- Kathlyn Lucia & Stephanie Price & Edwin Wong & Richard Startz, 2008.
"The Changing Relation Between the Canadian and U.S. Yield Curves,"
UWEC-2008-05, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Wong, Edwin & Lucia, Kathlyn & Price, Stephanie & Startz, Richard, 2011. "The changing relation between the Canadian and U.S. yield curves," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 965-981, October.
- Gabriele Galati & William R. Melick, 2006. "The evolving inflation process: an overview," BIS Working Papers 196, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jamie Armour, 2006. "An Evaluation of Core Inflation Measures," Working Papers 06-10, Bank of Canada.
- Christopher Ragan, 2012. "Financial Stability: The Next Frontier for Canadian Monetary Policy," C.D. Howe Institute Commentary, C.D. Howe Institute, issue 338, January.
- Vladimir Klyuev & Heesun Kiem & Ondra Kamenik & Douglas Laxton, 2008. "Why is Canada's Price Level So Predictable?," IMF Working Papers 08/25, International Monetary Fund.
- Klas Fregert & Lars Jonung, 2007. "Policy rule evaluation by contract-makers: 100 years of wage contract length in Sweden," European Economy - Economic Papers 270, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Jeffery D. Amato & Andrew Filardo & Gabriele Galati & Goetz von Peter & Feng Zhu, 2005. "Research on exchange rates and monetary policy: an overview," BIS Working Papers 178, Bank for International Settlements.
- David Longworth, 2003. "Implications of a changing economic structure for the strategy of monetary policy : commentary," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 349-360.
- Charles Freedman & Douglas Laxton, 2009. "Why Inflation Targeting?," IMF Working Papers 09/86, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.