Risk and Equity in Agricultural Cooperatives
AbstractThis research examines the effect of risk on the proportion of equity held by agricultural cooperatives. The measured components of risk are business risk and the financial risk that is dependent on the proportion of debt in the cooperative's capital structure. The empirical results indicate the proportion of equity is inversely related to financial risk and positively related to business risk. These risk effects are estimated to differ based on the commodity handled by the cooperative. No Significant relation between the proportion of equity and whether or not the cooperative operates on a pooling basis is estimated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Council of Farmer Cooperatives in its journal Journal of Agricultural Cooperation.
Volume (Year): 8 (1993)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Agribusiness; Risk and Uncertainty;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lerman, Zvi & Parliament, Claudia, 1991. "Size and industry effects in the performance of agricultural cooperatives," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 15-29, October.
- Sporleder, Thomas L. & Malick, William M. & Tough, Cynthia H., 1988. "Relationship of Pooling to Equity Capital and Current Assets of Large Producer Marketing Cooperatives," Journal of Agricultural Cooperation, National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, vol. 3.
- Lerman, Zvi & Parliament, Claudia, 1991. "Size and industry effects in the performance of agricultural cooperatives," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 6(1), October.
- Staatz, John M., 1989. "Farmer Cooperative Theory: Recent Developments," Research Reports 52017, United States Department of Agriculture, Rural Development Business and Cooperative Programs.
- Russo, Carlo & Sabbatini, Massimo, 2005. "Incentives to Efficient Investment Decisions in Agricultural Cooperatives," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24455, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Jeffrey P. Katz, 1997. "Managerial behavior and strategy choices in agribusiness cooperatives," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 483-495.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.