Per Capita Income, Human Capital, and Inequality Convergence: A Latent-Variable Approach
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to empirically analyze determinants of income-level convergence. Specifically, the effect of human capital on per capita income is estimated for 22 countries of the organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). Additionally, the effects of openness in international trade and investment and government expenditures on per capita income are estimated and evaluated. Human capital is modeled as a latent variable, and results indicate that it is a significant factor in explaining the variation of per capita income levels among the OECD countries. Further, the entire time path of human capital is utilized to explain deviations in per capita income.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): ()
convergence; human capital; inequality; latent variable; OECD;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Summers, Robert & Heston, Alan, 1991. "The Penn World Table (Mark 5): An Expanded Set of International Comparisons, 1950-1988," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(2), pages 327-68, May.
- Ellis W. Tallman, 1992. "Human capital investment and economic growth: new routes in theory address old questions," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Sep, pages 1-12.
- Tamura, Robert, 1991. "Income Convergence in an Endogenous Growth Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 522-40, June.
- Tallman, E.W. & Wang, P., 1992. "Human Capital Investment and Economic Growth: New Routes in Theory and Address Old Questions," Papers 9-92-9, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Weatherspoon, Dave D. & Seale, James L., Jr. & Moss, Charles B., 2003. "Extending Theil's Inequality Index: Addressing Dynamic Convergence in the OECD," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.