How Sensitive Are Crop Yields To Price Changes And Farm Programs?
AbstractA two-stage approach is used to estimate sensitivity of corn, wheat, and soybean yields to changes in prices and land idled. Estimated elasticity of demand for fertilizer per acre with respect to expected output price equals 0.47, 0.10, and 0.82 for corn, wheat, and soybeans. Upper estimates of the elasticity of yield with respect to fertilizer equals +0.58, +0.29, and +0.16 for corn, wheat, and soybeans. Yields are found to be quite insensitive to price changes. Fertilizer demands and yields are insensitive to land idled under farm programs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (1993)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Corn; Farm programs; Fertilizer demands; Soybeans; Wheat; Yields; Agricultural and Food Policy; Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Love, H. Alan & Foster, William E., 1990. "Commodity Program Slippage Rates For Corn And Wheat," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(02), December.
- Traboulsi, Mohamad Rafic, 2013. "Effect of Climate Change on Supply Response of Florida Citrus Crops 1980-2010," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 143063, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Zulfiqar, Farhad, 2010. "Estimation of Wheat Yield Response under different Economic, Location and Climatic Conditions in Punjab," MPRA Paper 26503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Boussios, David & Barkley, Andrew P., 2012. "Kansas Grain Supply Response to Economic and Biophysical Factors, 1977-2007," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124385, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Finger, Robert, 2010.
"Evidence of slowing yield growth - The example of Swiss cereal yields,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 175-182, April.
- Finger, Robert, 2007. "Evidence of slowing yield growth – the example of Swiss cereal yields," MPRA Paper 9475, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Edison, Andy Mulyana & Jie, Ferry & Parton, Kevin A., 2011. "The Analysis Of Supply Response Of Rice Under Risk In Jambi Province," 2011 Conference (55th), February 8-11, 2011, Melbourne, Australia 113736, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.