Labour Productivity, Technological Gap and Spillovers Evidence from Moroccan Manufacturing Industries
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to investigate empirically whether there is any evidence that Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) has had a positive impact on productivity performance in Moroccan manufacturing industries. To this end a panel data set at sector level for the Moroccan manufacturing industries in the period 1987-1996 was used. Our results suggest that the foreign presence increases the domestic labour productivity. However, this relationship is a complex one and depends on absorptive capacity or technological gap (distance between foreign and indigenous firms in terms of total factor productivity). The technological gap seems to be a condition for spillovers, but only within a certain range. Our results show a significant positive effect of trade openness (exports) on the Moroccan labour productivity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Africagrowth Institute in its journal African Finance Journal.
Volume (Year): 7 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Labour Productivity; Human Capital; Spillovers; Moroccan Manufacturing Industries;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alaya MAROUANE (Université of Tunis) & Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2008.
"The law of growth and attraction: an endogenous model of absorptive capacities, FDI and income for MENA countries,"
Cahiers du GREThA
2008-27, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Alaya MAROUANE (Université de Tunis) & Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA-GRES) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA-GRES), 2008. "The law of growth and attraction: an endogenous model of absorptive capacities, FDI and income for MENA countries," Cahiers du GRES 2008-21, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- bouoiyour, jamal, 2006.
"Productivité du travail, capital humain et écart technologique dans les industries manufacturières marocaines
[Labor productivity, human capital and technology gap in manufacturing Moroccan]," MPRA Paper 37035, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal & Hanchane, Said, 2008.
"Formation professionnelle et croissance économique Quelles interactions dans les cas du Maroc et la Tunisie ?
[Professional training and economic growth: What interactions in Morocco and Tunisia?]," MPRA Paper 38222, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dalila NICET-CHENAF (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2009. "FDI and growth: A new look at a still puzzling issue," Cahiers du GREThA 2009-13, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Tomáš Havránek & Zuzana Iršová, 2010. "Meta-Analysis of Intra-Industry FDI Spillovers: Updated Evidence," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 60(2), pages 151-174, May.
- Dalila NICET- CHENAF (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2008.
"Recent exports matter: export discoveries, FDI and Growth, an empirical assessment for MENA countries,"
Cahiers du GREThA
2008-22, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Dalila NICET- CHENAF (GREThA-GRES) & Eric ROUGIER (GREThA-GRES), 2008. "Recent exports matter: export discoveries, FDI and Growth, an empirical assessment for MENA countries," Cahiers du GRES 2008-17, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Baccouche, Rafik & Bouoiyour, Jamal & Hatem, M’Henni & Mouley, Sami, 2008.
"Dynamique des investissements, mutations sectorielles et convertibilité du compte de capital : impacts des mesures de libéralisation et expériences comparées Tunisie - Maroc
[Dynamics of invest," MPRA Paper 38148, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal, 2004. "Foreign direct investment in Morocco," MPRA Paper 31457, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal, 2005.
"Partenariat Euro-marocain et dynamique des investissements directs étrangers
[Euro-Moroccan partnership and dynamic investment foreign direct]," MPRA Paper 45992, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kirk De Doncker) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Kirk De Doncker to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.