Foreign direct investment in Morocco
AbstractIn this paper, we first compare the characteristics of Moroccan and foreign manufacturing firms between 1987 and 1996, and finds, as expected, that the latter perform better in terms of productivity, are technologically more advanced and more export-oriented, and pay higher wages than the former. Second, based on ongoing research, we suggest that foreign presence may have a positive impact on Moroccan productivity but that the relationship depends on local absorptive capacity or the technological gap (i.e. distance between foreign and local firms in terms of total factor productivity). It would appear that the larger the technological gap, the greater the spillover, up to a certain point. One interesting implication is that the effects of FDI may vary greatly across industries. This line of research deserves further investigation and may call for more appropriate sectoral policy response to foster spillovers between foreign and local firms
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 31457.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
FDI; Technological gap; Spillovers;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:pra:mprapa:37325 is not listed on IDEAS
- Wang, Jian-Ye & Blomstrom, Magnus, 1992.
"Foreign investment and technology transfer : A simple model,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 137-155, January.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Jian-Ye Wang, 1992. "Foreign Investment and Technology Transfer: A Simple Model," NBER Working Papers 2958, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal & Toufik, Said, 2003.
"Productivité des industries manufacturières marocaines et investissements directs étrangers
[Productivity in Moroccan manufacturing and foreign direct investment]," MPRA Paper 38097, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Isabel Proença & Maria Paula Fontoura & Nuno Crespo, 2002. "Productivity Spillovers from Multinational Corporations in the Portuguese Case: Evidence from a Short Time Period Panel Data," Working Papers Department of Economics 2002/06, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Haddad, Mona & Harrison, Ann, 1993. "Are there positive spillovers from direct foreign investment? : Evidence from panel data for Morocco," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 51-74, October.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal, 2007. "The determining factors of foreign direct investment in Morocco," MPRA Paper 37326, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jamal bouoiyour & Al Akhawayn, 2005. "Labour Productivity, Technological Gap and Spillovers Evidence from Moroccan Manufacturing Industries," The African Finance Journal, Africagrowth Institute, vol. 7(2), pages 1-17.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Nada Kobeissi, 2010. "Role of Governance and Institutional Environment in Affecting Cross Border M&As, Alliances and Project Financing: Evidence from Emerging Markets," CEIS Research Paper 156, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 28 May 2010.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal, 2005.
"Partenariat Euro-marocain et dynamique des investissements directs étrangers
[Euro-Moroccan partnership and dynamic investment foreign direct]," MPRA Paper 45992, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baccouche, Rafik & Bouoiyour, Jamal & Hatem, M’Henni & Mouley, Sami, 2008.
"Dynamique des investissements, mutations sectorielles et convertibilité du compte de capital : impacts des mesures de libéralisation et expériences comparées Tunisie - Maroc
[Dynamics of invest," MPRA Paper 38148, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bouoiyour, Jamal & Rey, Serge, 2005.
"Régime de change, taux de change réel, flux commerciaux et investissements directs étrangers: le cas du Maroc
[Real exchange rate, trade flows and foreign direct investments: the Moroccan case]," MPRA Paper 49503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- bouoiyour, jamal, 2006.
"Productivité du travail, capital humain et écart technologique dans les industries manufacturières marocaines
[Labor productivity, human capital and technology gap in manufacturing Moroccan]," MPRA Paper 37035, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.