The KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel: Design and Research Potential
AbstractSo far, there has been no data set which observes firm formations in Germany not only on a cross-sectional basis using one-time surveys, but continuously over a number of years. Therefore, the Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW), KfW Bankengruppe and Creditreform set up a panel study of newly founded firms in Germany: the KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel. In each of the yearly panel waves computer-aided telephone interviews (CATI) are conducted with about 6,000 start-up firms from almost all industries. The KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel will for the first time enable profound analyses of the temporal development of newly founded firms, including studies of firm survival. This paper describes the design of the KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel. The survey's research potential is illustrated using data from the first panel wave conducted in the year 2008. Data access for external researchers and data protection issues of the confidential micro data are discussed. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Duncker & Humblot, Berlin in its journal Schmollers Jahrbuch.
Volume (Year): 130 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.duncker-humblot.de
Other versions of this item:
- Fryges, Helmut & Gottschalk, Sandra & Kohn, Karsten, 2009. "The KfW/ZEW Start-up Panel: Design and Research Potential," IZA Discussion Papers 4441, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Fryges, Helmut & Gottschalk, Sandra & Kohn, Karsten, 2009. "The KfW/ZEW start-up panel: design and research potential," ZEW Discussion Papers 09-053, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- C80 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - General
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- J20 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - General
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gottschalk, Sandra, 2013. "The Research Data Centre of the Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW-FDZ)," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-051, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Goldbach, Stefan, 2012.
"Innovation and Education: Is there a ‘Nerd Effect’?,"
Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics
56008, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute of Economics (VWL).
- Goldbach, Stefan, 2012. "Innovation and Education: Is there a 'Nerd Effect'?," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62307, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Heger, Diana & Hussinger, Katrin, 2013. "External capital access and new product launch in start-up firms with uncertain intellectual property rights," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-095, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Brown, Martin & Degryse, Hans & Höwer, Daniel & Penas, María Fabiana, 2012. "How do banks screen innovative firms? Evidence from start-up panel data," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-032, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Fryges, Helmut & Müller, Bettina & Niefert, Michaela, 2013. "Job machine, think tank, or both: What makes corporate spinoffs different?," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-093, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Höwer, Daniel, 2013. "Corporate main bank decision," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-018, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Fryges, Helmut & Kohn, Karsten & Ullrich, Katrin, 2012.
"The interdependence of R&D activity and debt financing of young firms,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
12-016, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Fryges, Helmut & Kohn, Karsten & Ullrich, Katrin, 2011. "The Interdependence of R&D Activity and Debt Financing of Young Firms," IZA Discussion Papers 6217, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dirk Christian Dohse & Andrea Vaona, 2013. "Start-up Complexity and the Thickness of Regional Input Markets," Kiel Working Papers 1842, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriele Freudenmann).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.