Review of the Literature on the Impact of Mergers on Innovation
AbstractBoth M&A and innovation are instruments for growth and competitive advantage. Therefore they are fundamental to each firm?s competitive strategy. Usually, both instruments have been studied separately, but much less in conjunction. This is unfortunate as both processes - the process of innovation and the process of mergers and acquisitions - are intimately connected. The impact of mergers on innovation can only be rigorously assessed, if the converse direction of influence - mergers caused by innovation - is accounted for. Therefore this review tries to take a balanced view on both processes and to point out links between them. Nevertheless, the focus is on the impact of mergers on innovation. This discussion paper is identical with an older version with the title ?Review on the Literature of Mergers on Innovation?. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 07-061.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
innovation incentives; market structure; merger incentives;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L10 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2007-12-15 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-IND-2007-12-15 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-INO-2007-12-15 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2007-12-15 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-MIC-2007-12-15 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-PPM-2007-12-15 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-TID-2007-12-15 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elena Cefis & Mihaela-Livia Ghita, 2008. "Post Merger Innovative Patterns in Small and Medium Firms," Working Papers 08-09, Utrecht School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.