Corporate governance and current regulation in the German banking sector: an overview and assessment
AbstractThis paper gives an overview over corporate governance and banking regulation in Germany. Particular attention is put on legal and regulatory changes that were made in response to the financial market crisis. The paper shows that the changes mainly focus on the remuneration of managers and on further professionalizing the supervisory board. Problematic is that several laws that were enacted in the past years to improve corporate governance focus on listed firms. Furthermore, some of the recommendations and suggestions made to improve corporate governance in Germany are not legally binding even for stock corporations. Recent empirical evidence, moreover, suggests that bank shareholders pushed for greater risk-taking and not managers. This contrast with public view that the bank managers are pushed by aggressive remunerations schemes to increase risk-taking and indicates that the recent legal and regulatory changes fail to remove all weaknesses of the German corporate governance system. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 10-002.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Corporate governance; banks; regulation; remuneration schemes; supervisory board;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-03-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-03-06 (Banking)
- NEP-BEC-2010-03-06 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CFN-2010-03-06 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-REG-2010-03-06 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.