Investment performance and market share: A study of the German mutual fund industry
AbstractWe study a set of German open-end mutual funds for a time period during which this industry emerged from its infancy. In those years, the distribution channel for mutual funds was dominated by the brick-and-mortar retail networks of the large universal banks. Using monthly observations from 12/1986 through 12/1998, we investigate if cross-sectional return differences across mutual funds affect their market shares. Although such a causal relation has been established in highly competitive markets, such as the United States, the rigid distribution system in place in Germany at the time may have caused retail performance and investment performance to uncouple. In fact, although we observe stark differences in investment performance across mutual funds (and over time), we find no evidence that crosssectional performance differences affect the market shares of these funds. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Financial Studies (CFS) in its series CFS Working Paper Series with number 2006/06.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: House of Finance, Grüneburgplatz 1, HPF H5, D-60323 Frankfurt am Main
Phone: +49 (0)69 798-30050
Fax: +49 (0)69 798-30077
Web page: http://www.ifk-cfs.de/
More information through EDIRC
Mutual Funds; Abnormal Returns; Market Shares; Distribution Channel;
Other versions of this item:
- Krahnen, Jan P. & Schmid, Frank A. & Theissen, Erik, 2006. "Investment performance and market share: A study of the German mutual fund industry," CFR Working Papers 06-06, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bergstresser, Daniel & Poterba, James, 2002.
"Do after-tax returns affect mutual fund inflows?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 381-414, March.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Jonathan B. Berk & Richard C. Green, 2002.
"Mutual Fund Flows and Performance in Rational Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
9275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan B. Berk & Richard C. Green, 2004. "Mutual Fund Flows and Performance in Rational Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(6), pages 1269-1295, December.
- Jonathan B. Berk & Richard C. Green, 2002. "Mutual Fund Flows and Performance in Rational Markets," FAME Research Paper Series rp100, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Ippolito, Richard A, 1992. "Consumer Reaction to Measures of Poor Quality: Evidence from the Mutual Fund Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(1), pages 45-70, April.
- Joseph Chen & Harrison Hong & Ming Huang & Jeffrey D. Kubik, 2004. "Does Fund Size Erode Mutual Fund Performance? The Role of Liquidity and Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1276-1302, December.
- Erik R. Sirri & Peter Tufano, 1998. "Costly Search and Mutual Fund Flows," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1589-1622, October.
- Ber, Silke & Kempf, Alexander & Ruenzi, Stefan, 2005. "Determinanten der Mittelzuflüsse bei deutschen Aktienfonds," CFR Working Papers 05-11, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Droms, William G. & Walker, David A., 1996. "Mutual fund investment performance," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 347-363.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.