Coin migration within the euro area
AbstractThis paper analyses how many euro coins outflow from Germany and which composition of coins is to be expected in the long run. To this end, a simple mathematical model is formulated and calibrated for €1 coins. The introduction of the euro coins in 2002 presented a unique opportunity to analyse the cross-border migration and the mixing process of coins in different euro-area countries. Based on research by Stoyan and depending on growth assumptions, the annual outflow of German €1 coins is calculated to lie somewhere between 4% and 5%. In the long run, the ratio of German €1 coins in Germany is likely to converge to around 50%. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre in its series Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies with number 2009,27.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Euro coins; coin volumes; mixing process;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernst Baltensperger & Thomas J. Jordan, 1997. "Principles of Seigniorage," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 133(II), pages 133-152, June.
- Dietrich Stoyan & Helga Stoyan & Gunter Döge, 2004. "Statistical Analyses and Modelling of the Mixing Process of Euro Coins in Germany and Europe," Australian & New Zealand Journal of Statistics, Australian Statistical Publishing Association Inc., vol. 46(1), pages 67-77, 03.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- The international movement of euro coins
by Economic Logician in Economic Logic on 2009-11-16 15:37:00
- Franz Seitz & Dietrich Stoyan & Karl-Heinz Toedter, 2012. "Coin Migration and Seigniorage within the Euro Area," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 232(1), pages 84-92, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.