Principles of Seigniorage
AbstractTraditionally, the literature on seigniorage has mentioned different concepts of measuring seigniorage, most prominently the monetary concept and the opportunity cost concept. The relationship between different concepts of seigniorage has never been settled clearly. This paper discusses principal aspects of seigniorage and clarifies the relationship between alternative measures of seigniorage. The conclusion is that the opportunity cost concept includes the total amount of seigniorage, whereas the monetary concept is incomplete. However, either concept alone is not very informative, because neither fully reflects all the different aspects of seigniorage. To obtain a precise picture of the seigniorage situation, it is crucial to make a distinction between actual seigniorage and the fund transfer from the central bank to the government.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES) in its journal Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 133 (1997)
Issue (Month): II (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Andreas M. Fischer & Thomas J. Jordan & Caesar P. Lack, 2002.
"Giving Up the Swiss Franc:Some Considerations on Seigniorage Flows under EMU,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 138(I), pages 61-82, March.
- Fischer, Andreas M & Jordan, Thomas J. & Lack, Caeser P, 2002. "Giving Up the Swiss Franc: Some Consideration on Seigniorage Flows Under EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 3156, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Seitz, Franz & Stoyan, Dietrich & Tödter, Karl-Heinz, 2009. "Coin migration within the euro area," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2009,27, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Franz Seitz & Dietrich Stoyan & Karl-Heinz Toedter, 2012. "Coin Migration and Seigniorage within the Euro Area," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 232(1), pages 84-92, January.
- Baltensperger, Ernst & Jordan, Thomas J., 1997. "Seigniorage, banking, and the optimal quantity of money," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 781-796, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.