Optimal Liquidity Trading
AbstractWe study optimal liquidity trading in a framework where trade size has a price impact. A liquidity trader wishes to trade a fixed number of shares within a certain time horizon and to minimize the mean and variance of the costs of trading. Explicit formulas for the optimal trading strategies show that risk-averse liquidity traders reduce their order sizes over time and execute a higher fraction of their total trading volume in early periods when price volatility increases or price sensitivity de
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Yale School of Management in its series Yale School of Management Working Papers with number ysm165.
Date of creation: 01 Dec 2000
Date of revision: 01 Aug 2001
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Lo, Andrew W. & MacKinlay, Archie Craig, 1955-, 1990.
"An ordered probit analysis of transaction stock prices,"
3234-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Lo, Andrew W. & MacKinlay, A. Craig, 1992. "An ordered probit analysis of transaction stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 319-379, June.
- Hausman, J.A. & Lo, A.W. & MacKinlay, A.C., 1991. "An Ordered Probit Analysis of Transaction Stock Prices," Weiss Center Working Papers 26-91, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Jerry A. Hausman & Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1991. "An Ordered Probit Analysis of Transaction Stock Prices," NBER Working Papers 3888, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2005.
"Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(4), pages 1171-1217.
- Foucault, Thierry & Kadan, Ohad & Kandel, Eugene, 2001. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 2889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thierry Foucault & Ohad Kadan & Eugene Kandel, 2003. "Limit Order Book as a Market for Liquidity," Discussion Paper Series dp321, The Center for the Study of Rationality, Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- FOUCAULT, Thierry & KADAN, Ohad & KANDEL, Eugene, 2001. "Limit order book as a market for liquidity," Les Cahiers de Recherche 728, HEC Paris.
- Hans Degryse & Frank Jong & Maarten Ravenswaaij & Gunther Wuyts, 2005.
"Aggressive Orders and the Resiliency of a Limit Order Market,"
Review of Finance,
Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 201-242, 06.
- Degryse, H.A. & Jong, F.C.J.M. de & Ravenswaaij, M. van & Wuyts, G., 2002. "Aggressive Orders and the Resiliency of a Limit Order Market," Discussion Paper 2002-80, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- Back, Kerry, 1992. "Insider Trading in Continuous Time," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(3), pages 387-409.
- Bertsimas, Dimitris & Lo, Andrew W., 1998. "Optimal control of execution costs," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-50, April.
- Dutta, Prajit K. & Madhavan, Ananth, 1995.
"Price Continuity Rules and Insider Trading,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(02), pages 199-221, June.
- Kempf, Alexander & Korn, Olaf, 1999. "Market depth and order size1," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 29-48, February.
- Keim, Donald B & Madhaven, Ananth, 1996. "The Upstairs Market for Large-Block Transactions: Analysis and Measurement of Price Effects," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 1-36.
- Kyle, Albert S, 1985. "Continuous Auctions and Insider Trading," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1315-35, November.
- Back, Kerry & Pedersen, Hal, 1998. "Long-lived information and intraday patterns," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 385-402, September.
- Dimitri Vayanos & Jiang Wang, 2012.
"Market Liquidity — Theory and Empirical Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
18251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alexander Weiss, 2008. "Escaping the Brownian stalkers," Papers 0803.3590, arXiv.org.
- Isaenko, Sergei, 2010. "Portfolio choice under transitory price impact," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(11), pages 2375-2389, November.
- Steven L. Heston & Robert A. Korajczyk & Ronnie Sadka, 2010.
"Intraday Patterns in the Cross-section of Stock Returns,"
- Steven L. Heston & Robert A. Korajczyk & Ronnie Sadka, 2010. "Intraday Patterns in the Cross-section of Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(4), pages 1369-1407, 08.
- Alexander Weiss, 2009. "Executing large orders in a microscopic market model," Papers 0904.4131, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2010.
- Frey, Stefan & Sandås, Patrik, 2009. "The impact of iceberg orders in limit order books," CFR Working Papers 09-06, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Thomas Conlon & John Cotter & Ramazan Gencay, 2012. "Commodity futures hedging, risk aversion and the hedging horizon," Working Papers 201218, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Kervel, V.L. van, 2013. "Competition between stock exchanges and optimal trading," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5663709, Tilburg University.
- Zhiwu Chen & Werner Stanzl & Masahiro Watanabe, 2002. "Price Impact Costs and the Limit of Arbitrage," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm251, Yale School of Management, revised 08 Jun 2006.
- Takashi Kato, 2011. "An Optimal Execution Problem in Geometric Ornstein-Uhlenbeck Price Process," Papers 1107.1787, arXiv.org, revised May 2012.
- Dick-Nielsen, Jens & Feldhütter, Peter & Lando, David, 2012. "Corporate bond liquidity before and after the onset of the subprime crisis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 471-492.
- Ryosuke Ishii, 2009. "Optimal Execution in an Evolutionary Setting," KIER Working Papers 670, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Obizhaeva, Anna A. & Wang, Jiang, 2013. "Optimal trading strategy and supply/demand dynamics," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-32.
- David B. Brown & Bruce Ian Carlin & Miguel Sousa Lobo, 2009. "On the Scholes Liquidation Problem," NBER Working Papers 15381, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Gu\'eant & Charles-Albert Lehalle, 2012. "General Intensity Shapes in Optimal Liquidation," Papers 1204.0148, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2013.
- Samuel N. Cohen & Lukasz Szpruch, 2011. "A limit order book model for latency arbitrage," Papers 1110.4811, arXiv.org.
- Olivier Gu\'eant & Charles-Albert Lehalle & Joaquin Fernandez Tapia, 2011. "Optimal Portfolio Liquidation with Limit Orders," Papers 1106.3279, arXiv.org, revised Jul 2012.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.