Estimating treatment effectiveness with sample selection
AbstractWe consider a situation where treatment outcome is observed after two stages of selection; first of participation into the treatment, then in completion of the treatment. Estimates were obtained using two methods. First, three different binary response selection models were estimated sequentially in multiple steps. Second, all three equations were estimated jointly. All methods produce similar parameter estimates. We find evidence of selection effects from completion to outcome that could bias parameter estimates of the outcome equation, but not from participation to outcome, indicating that correcting only for participation may be insufficient to avoid biased estimates in the outcome equation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University in its series Working Papers with number 2010-05.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
selection bias; trivariate probit; bivariate probit; treatment effects;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C24 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-02 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anne Muller & Henri Fraisse, 2011. "Les commissions de surendettement des ménages : de l’objectif de négociation à la prévention de la rechute," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 443(1), pages 3-27.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Danielle Engelhardt).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.