Maximum likelihood estimator for the uneven power distribution: application to DJI returns
AbstractThis paper deals with estimating peaked densities over the interval [0,1] using the Un-even Two-Sided Power Distribution (UTP). This distribution is the most complex of all the bounded power distributions introduced by Kotz and van Dorp (2004). The UTP maximum likelihood estimator, a result not derived by Kotz and van Dorp, is presented. The UTP is used to estimate the daily return densities of the DJI and stocks comprising this index. As the returns are found to have high kurtosis values, the UTP provides much more accurate estima-tions than a smooth distribution. The paper presents the program written in Mathematica which calculates maximum likelihood estimators for all members of the bounded power dis-tribution family. The paper demonstrates that the UTP distribution may be extremely useful in estimating peaked densities over the interval [0,1] and in studying financial data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Applied Econometrics, Warsaw School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 43.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 08 May 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 02-513 Warszawa, ul. Madalinskiego 6/8
Phone: + (48)(22) 49 12 51
Fax: + (48)(22) 49 53 12
Web page: http://www.sgh.waw.pl/instytuty/zes
More information through EDIRC
Density Distribution; Maximum Likelihood Estimation; Stock Returns;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C16 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Econometric and Statistical Methods; Specific Distributions
- C46 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Specific Distributions
- C87 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Econometric Software
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kontek, Krzysztof, 2010. "Estimation of Peaked Densities Over the Interval [0,1] Using Two-Sided Power Distribution: Application to Lottery Experiments," MPRA Paper 22378, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcin Owczarczuk).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.