Labour market participation of mothers in Italy: facts, studies and public policies
AbstractIn this paper we focus in particular on the participation of women with children, considering the peculiar characteristics of the Italian labour market, the social service system as well as the legislation regarding maternity leave, which have jointly constrained the possibility for women to participate to the labour market and to have children. The low employment rate among young women with children and the low fertility rate in Italy summarise the difficulties encountered by women in the Italian labour market. All these problems are more severe in the Southern regions and the distance between the economic conditions of the North and the South did not diminish in the last decades. The growth of women participation has had important effects not only on household income, but also on inequality in households income distribution. Women participation in Italy has in fact reduced households income inequality and the equalising impact of wives' work has become increasingly important over time, particularly for Northern households
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY in its series CHILD Working Papers with number wp04_02.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2002
Date of revision:
Labour Market Decisions; Fertility; Child care;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J2 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Massimiliano BRATTI, 2001.
"Labour Force Participation and Marital Fertility of Italian Women: The Role of Education,"
154, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Massimiliano Bratti, 2003. "Labour force participation and marital fertility of Italian women: The role of education," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 525-554, 08.
- Bratti, Massimiliano, 2002. "Labour Force Participation and Marital Fertility of Italian Women: The Role of Education," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 34, Royal Economic Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Landorno).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.