Decentralized Investment and Quality Decisions In Common-Pool Networks
AbstractInvestment and quality decisions in common-pool networks are typically governed by rules set by a centralized agency (either a monopoly or a regulator). In network systems where competition has flourished, decentralized solutions work better than centralized ones. Rent seeking and politicization is avoided at lower costs. Problems of free riding and entry barriers may remain, but improved self-governance procedures and antitrust supervision can handle them. Two illustrations from the electricity sector are presented here: FREBA in Buenos Aires province, Argentina; and MACQS, in New Zealand. These examples show how decentralized mechanisms may develop throughout network utilities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Public Economics with number 0508004.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 07 Aug 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - doc; pages: 22
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
electricity transmission; network; power pool; electricity market; investment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
- D7 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Littlechild, S.C. & Skerk, C.J., 2004. "Regulation of transmission expansion in Argentina Part I: State ownership, reform and the Fourth Line," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0464, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Littlechild, Stephen C. & Ponzano, Eduardo A., 2008.
"Transmission expansion in Argentina 5: The regional electricity forum of Buenos Aires province,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1491-1526, July.
- Littlechild, S.C. & Ponzano, E.A., 2007. "Transmission expansion in Argentina 5: the Regional Electricity Forum of Buenos Aires Province," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0762, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.