Seeking the Single European Electricity Market: Evidence from an Empirical Analysis of Wholesale Market Prices
AbstractThe objectives of this paper are to assess the progress made towards a single European wholesale electricity market by the end of 2001, and identify remaining sources of economic inefficiency. Statistical analysis of day-ahead prices, in fifteen European locations, show Nord Pool (Scandinavia), and German, wholesale markets were almost perfectly competitive, but frequent price spikes, and reversion to equilibrium levels above marginal generation costs, occurred elsewhere. Daily price changes were well correlated between Nord Pool locations, but not others. Cointegration analysis shows prices were well integrated between all locations, except Spain. Results are consistent with arbitrage trading between locations, and the existence of a single European electricity market. However, the market is inefficient because generating firms exercised market power at some locations, and mechanisms to allocate capacity on congested transmission lines were weak. The European Commission should increase competition by breaking up dominant generating firms, not subsidising transmission capacity construction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Others with number 0401005.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: 13 Jan 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - .pdf; prepared on WinXP; pages: 42; figures: 6
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://220.127.116.11
Electricity market; cointegration; law of one price;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-01-18 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2004-01-18 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-EEC-2004-01-18 (European Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.