Functional Finance and Full Employment: Lessons from Lerner for Today
AbstractRecent global economic developments invite a reconsideration of orthodox macroeconomic theory and policy and encourage a revisiting of the ideas of unorthodox thinkers of the past. This paper reviews fifteen lessons to be learned from the work of Abba Lerner. These lessons, which fall under the general categories of functional finance and full employment, are as relevant today as they were when they were first put forward some five decades ago. They include insights into the workings of the macroeconomy that provide a basis for analyzing current macroeconomic developments and for formulating effective macroeconomic policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Macroeconomics with number 9908002.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: 12 Aug 1999
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; prepared on IBM PC; to print on PostScript; pages: 17; figures: included
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John Henry, 2007. "“Bad” Decisions, Poverty, and Economic Theory: The Individualist and Social Perspectives in Light of “The American Myth”," Forum for Social Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 17-27, April.
- Zdravka, Todorova, 2009. "Employer of Last Resort Policy and Feminist Economics: Social Provisioning and Socialization of Investment," MPRA Paper 16240, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Faruk Ülgen, 2012. "Financial instability and functional finance : a Lerner-Minsky perspective," Post-Print halshs-00843754, HAL.
- Georgios Argitis & Stella Michopoulou, 2011. "Are Full Employment and Social Cohesion Possible Under Financialization?," Forum for Social Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 139-155, July.
- Mathew Forstater, 1999. "Introduction to Symposium on the European Economic and Monetary Union," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 25(1), pages 31-34, Winter.
- Functional finance in Wikipedia (English)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.