Corporate Governance and Dividends Payout in India
AbstractThis paper investigates the association between the corporate governance and the dividends payout policy for a panel of Indian corporate firms over the period 1994-2000. We explain the differences in the dividend payout behavior of the firms with the help of firm’s financial structure, investments opportunities, dividend history, earnings trend, and the ownership structure. We find a positive association of dividends with earnings and dividends trend. Debt equity ratio is found to be negatively associated, whereas past investment opportunities exert a positive impact on dividends. Ownership by the corporate and directors is positively related with dividends payout in level, and corporate ownership is negatively related in square. Institutional ownership has inverse effect on dividends in comparison to corporate ownership in levels as well as in its squares. We find no evidence in favor of association between foreign ownership and divided payout growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0409007.
Length: 48 pages
Date of creation: 06 Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 48
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
Corporate Governance; Ownership Structure; Dividends Payout; and India;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G35 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Payout Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brennan, Michael J & Thakor, Anjan V, 1990.
" Shareholder Preferences and Dividend Policy,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 993-1018, September.
- Kalay, Avner, 1982. "Stockholder-bondholder conflict and dividend constraints," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 211-233, July.
- Varouj Aivazian & Laurence Booth & Sean Cleary, 2003. "Do Emerging Market Firms Follow Different Dividend Policies From U.S. Firms?," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 26(3), pages 371-387.
- Fenn, George W. & Liang, Nellie, 2001. "Corporate payout policy and managerial stock incentives," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 45-72, April.
- Demsetz, Harold & Villalonga, Belen, 2001. "Ownership structure and corporate performance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 209-233, September.
- Gugler, Klaus & Yurtoglu, B. Burcin, 2003. "Corporate governance and dividend pay-out policy in Germany," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 731-758, August.
- Michael J. Barclay & Clifford W. Smith & Ross L. Watts, 1995. "The Determinants Of Corporate Leverage And Dividend Policies," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 7(4), pages 4-19.
- Larry H. P. Lang & Mara Faccio & Leslie Young, 2001. "Dividends and Expropriation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 54-78, March.
- Bhat Ramesh & Pandey I M, . "Dividend Decision: A Study of Managers Perceptions," IIMA Working Papers WP1993-02-01_01158, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Akhtar, Muhammad Naeem & Hunjra, Ahmed Imran & Andleeb, Arifa & Butt, Babar Zaheer, 2011. "Individual investors perception of dividends: Pakistan’s percpective," MPRA Paper 40682, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2010. "The dividend strategy of Indian companies: An empirical assessment," MPRA Paper 29567, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kurt Hess & Abeyratna Gunasekarage & Martin Hovey, 2010. "State-dominant and non-state-dominant ownership concentration and firm performance: Evidence from China," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(4), pages 264-289, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.