A Martingale Result for Convexity Adjustment in the Black Pricing Model
AbstractThis paper explains how to calculate convexity adjustment for interest rates derivatives when assuming a deterministic time dependent volatility, using martingale theory. The motivation of this paper lies in two directions. First, we set up a proper no-arbitrage framework illustrated by a relationship between yield rate drift and bond price. Second, making ap-proximation, we come to a closed formula with speci…cation of the error term. Earlier works (Brotherton et al. (1993) and Hull (1997)) assumed constant volatility and could not specify the approximation error. As an application, we examine the convexity bias between CMS and forward swap rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Finance with number 0212005.
Length: 118 pages
Date of creation: 21 Dec 2002
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - PDF; prepared on windows; pages: 118
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://18.104.22.168
Martingale; Convexity Adjustment; Black and Black Scholes volatility; CMS rates.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Eric Benhamou, 2000. "Pricing Convexity Adjustment with Wiener Chaos," FMG Discussion Papers dp351, Financial Markets Group.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1981. "Martingales and stochastic integrals in the theory of continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-260, August.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- French, Kenneth R., 1983. "A comparison of futures and forward prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 311-342, November.
- Jiří Witzany, 2009. "Valuation of Convexity Related Interest Rate Derivatives," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2009(4), pages 309-326.
- Didier Kouokap Youmbi, 2012. "Yield to maturity modelling and a Monte Carlo Technique for pricing Derivatives on Constant Maturity Treasury (CMT) and Derivatives on forward Bonds," Papers 1204.4631, arXiv.org.
- A. Pelsser, 2003. "Mathematical foundation of convexity correction," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 59-65.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.