Assessing Forecast Performance in a VEC Model: An Empirical Examination
AbstractThis paper is an exercise in applied macroeconomic forecasting. We examine the forecasting power of a vector error-correction model (VECM) that is anchored by a long-run equilibrium relationship between Greek national income and productive public expenditure as suggested by the economic theory. We compare the estimated forecasting values of the endogenous variables to the real-historical values using a stochastic simulation analysis. The simulation results provide new evidence supporting the ability of the model to forecast not only one-period ahead but also many periods into the future. Keywords: Cointegration, Forecasting, Simulation Analysis, Vector error- correction models JEL Classifications: C15, C32, C53, E0, E6 Working Paper Series
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Econometrics with number 0502007.
Length: 15 pages
Date of creation: 09 Feb 2005
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 15
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://188.8.131.52
Cointegration; Forecasting; Simulation Analysis; Vector error- correction models;
Other versions of this item:
- Zacharias Bragoudakis, 2005. "Assessing Forecast Performance in a VEC Model: An Empirical Examination," Econometrics 0507013, EconWPA.
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- C2 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- C4 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics
- C5 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling
- C8 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2005-04-16 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2005-04-16 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.