Exports and Economic Growth in Namibia, 1968-1992
AbstractThis short paper analyzes Namibia's data from 1968 to 1992 in order to determine the role of exports in economic growth. The analysis confirms the general importance of exports, but finds no discernible sign of accelerated growth because of it. There is some evidence supporting the political economist's hypothesis about declining terms of trade due to external demand-side factors. Even so, Namibia seems to represent a vent-for-surplus example in which resource rents do neither sustain early, nor stimulate new, economic growth. An important finding is that domestic export supply factors are more essential to growth than external demand factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Development and Comp Systems with number 0307004.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 16 Jul 2003
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - WordPerfect; prepared on IBM PC - PC; to print on HP/PostScript; pages: 18 ; figures: included. I never published this piece and now would like to reduce mailing and xerox cost by posting it.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://184.108.40.206
exports and economic growth trade developing countries Africa Namibia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O38 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- O55 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sapsford, David, 1990. "Primary Commodity Prices and the Terms of Trade," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 66(195), pages 342-56, December.
- Augustin Kwasi Fosu, 1996. "Primary Exports and Economic Growth in Developing Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(4), pages 465-475, 07.
- Rolf Weder, 1996. "How Domestic Demand Shapes the Pattern of International Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 273-286, 05.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- Salvatore, Dominick, 1983. "A Simultaneous Equations Model of Trade and Development with Dynamic Policy Simulations," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1), pages 66-90.
- Alimi, Santos R. & Muse, Bernard O., 2012. "Export - led growth or growth – driven exports? Evidence from Nigeria," MPRA Paper 53468, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Mohammad, Mafizur Rahman, 2014. "The Dynamics of Exports, Financial Development and Economic Growth in Pakistan: New Extensions from Cointegration and Causality Analysis," MPRA Paper 53225, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 19 Jan 2014.
- P. K. Mishra, 2011. "The Dynamics of Relationship between exports and economic growth in India," International Journal of Economic Sciences and Applied Research (IJESAR), Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece, Technological Educational Institute (TEI) of Kavala, Greece, vol. 4(2), pages 53-70, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.