Currency Substitution: A Case Of Kazakhstan (2000:1-2007:12)
AbstractThis paper aims to investigate the demand for money in Kazakhstan. This study covers the period starting from 2000:01, when capital liberalization program was launched and National Bank approved managed float regime (National Bank employed adjustable exchange rate regime before exchange rate crisis in Kazakhstan in 1999) to 2007:12 as recent available data for investigation variables. In order to achieve the goal we set demand for money function is estimated using cointegration methodology aimed for variables integrated of order one. The results show important key factors for controlling money demand could be applied by National Bank of Kazakhstan. Besides, there was reversal of currency in Kazakhstan over the period under the investigation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan in its series William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series with number wp946.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 724 E. University Ave, Wyly Hall 1st Flr, Ann Arbor MI 48109
Phone: 734 763-5020
Fax: 734 763 5850
Web page: http://www.wdi.umich.edu
More information through EDIRC
Demand for money; currency substitution; dollarization; Kazakhstan;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franziska Ohnsorge & Nienke Oomes, 2005.
"Money Demand and Inflation in Dollarized Economies: The Case of Russia,"
IMF Working Papers
05/144, International Monetary Fund.
- Oomes, Nienke & Ohnsorge, Franziska, 2005. "Money demand and inflation in dollarized economies: The case of Russia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 462-483, September.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S., 1997. "Bandwidth Selection, Prewhitening, and the Power of the Phillips-Perron Test," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 679-691, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laurie Gendron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.