Efficient Estimation of Semiparametric Multivariate Copula Models
AbstractWe propose a sieve maximum likelihood (ML) estimation procedure for a broad class of semiparametric multivariate distribution models. A joint distribution in this class is characterized by a parametric copula function evaluated at nonparametric marginal distributions. This class of models has gained popularity in diverse fields due to a) its flexibility in separately modeling the dependence structure and the marginal behaviors of a multivariate random variable, and b) its circumvention of the "curse of dimensionality" associated with purely nonparametric multivariate distributions. We show that the plug-in sieve ML estimates of all smooth functionals, including the finite dimensional copula parameters and the unknown marginal distributions, are semiparametrically efficient; and that their asymptotic variances can be estimated consistently. Moreover, prior restrictions on the marginal distributions can be easily incorporated into the sieve ML procedure to achieve further efficiency gains. Two such cases are studied in the paper: (i) the marginal distributions are equal but otherwise unspecifed, and (ii) some but not all marginal distributions are parametric. Monte Carlo studies indicate that the sieve ML estimates perform well in finite samples, especially so when prior information on the marginal distributions is incorporated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Vanderbilt University Department of Economics in its series Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers with number 0420.
Date of creation: Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.vanderbilt.edu/econ/wparchive/index.html
Multivariate copula; sieve maximum likelihood; semiparametric efficiency;
Other versions of this item:
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin & Tsyrennikov, Viktor, 2006. "Efficient Estimation of Semiparametric Multivariate Copula Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1228-1240, September.
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2004-12-12 (Econometrics)
- NEP-FIN-2004-12-12 (Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2004-12-15 (Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-12, March.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2004. "On the Out-of-Sample Importance of Skewness and Asymmetric Dependence for Asset Allocation," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(1), pages 130-168.
- Coppejans, Mark & Gallant, A. Ronald, 2000.
"Cross Validated SNP Density Estimates,"
00-10, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Granger, Clive W.J. & TerÃ¤svirta, Timo & Patton, Andrew J, 2002.
"Common Factors in Conditional Distributions,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt3bd1n1x5, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1982. "Some Approaches to the Correction of Selectivity Bias," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 355-72, July.
- Chunrong Ai & Xiaohong Chen, 2003. "Efficient Estimation of Models with Conditional Moment Restrictions Containing Unknown Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1795-1843, November.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1997. "Convergence rates and asymptotic normality for series estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 147-168, July.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Nychka, Douglas W, 1987. "Semi-nonparametric Maximum Likelihood Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 363-90, March.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.