The ethics of creative accounting
AbstractThe term 'creative accounting' can be defined in a number of ways. Initially we will offer this definition: 'a process whereby accountants use their knowledge of accounting rules to manipulate the figures reported in the accounts of a business'. To investigate the ethical issues raised by creative accounting we will: - Explore some definitions of creative accounting. - Consider the various ways in which creative accounting can be undertaken. - Explore the range of reasons for a company's directors to engage in creative accounting. - Review the ethical issues that arise in creative accounting. - Report on surveys of auditors' perceptions of creative accounting in the UK, Spain and New Zealand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 349.
Date of creation: Dec 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Accounting; creative accounting; ethics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M41 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Accounting - - - Accounting
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1999-03-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merchant, Kenneth A. & Rockness, Joanne, 1994. "The ethics of managing earnings: An empirical investigation," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 79-94.
- Oriol Amat & John Blake & Ester Oliveras, 2000. "The ethics of creative accounting: Some Spanish evidence," Economics Working Papers 455, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ester Oliveras & Oriol Amat, 2003. "Ethics and creative accounting: Some empirical evidence on accounting for intangibles in Spain," Economics Working Papers 732, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Marisa Agostini & Giovanni Favero, 2012. "Accounting fraud, business failure and creative auditing: A micro-analysis of the strange case of Sunbeam Corp," Working Papers 12, Department of Management, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia, revised Mar 2013.
- Joseph Heath, 2007. "An Adversarial Ethic for Business: or When Sun-Tzu Met the Stakeholder," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 72(4), pages 359-374, June.
- Carmine Zoccali, 2012. "The Role Of Financial Indicators In The Life Of Italian Football Clubs," Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport, Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 7(3), pages 83-101, gennaio.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.