Globalization, Growth, Inequality and Poverty in Africa: A Macroeconomic Perspective
AbstractThe last two decades has witnessed an increase in globalizing influences affecting most countries, Africa included. These influences have arisen partly as a result of domestic and international policies, such as trade policies, and partly as a result of general globalizing impulses, such as technological developments and enhanced communications. The single overarching objective of this paper is to outline the macro evidence on the extent to which globalization is taking place and poverty is reducing in Africa, and to consider this to both characteristics of the region (i.e., within the region) and relative to other global regions. It draws on some of the most recent evidence about the globalizing processes in various forms so as to try to determine the speed and extent of globalization in Africa. This helps to put into proper perspective the impact of globalization on poverty and inequality. It is essentially a partial and descriptive approach, at best indicative of associations, and stops short of attempting to identify, empirically, channels of influence and causal relationships.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Paper Series with number UNU-WIDER Research Paper RP2007/55.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
globalization; inequality; poverty; Sub-Saharan Africa;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hisako Kai & Shigeyuki Hamori, 2009.
"Globalization, financial depth, and inequality in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 2025-2037.
- Hisako KAI & Shigeyuki HAMORI, 2009. "Globalization, Financial Depth, and Inequality in Sub-Saharan Africa," Discussion Papers 0912, Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University.
- Bryceson, D. & Sarkar, P. & Fennell, S. & Singh, A., 2010.
"Globalisation, Structural Adjustment and African Agriculture: Analysis and Evidence,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp414, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Bryceson, Deborah & Sarkar, Prabirjit & Fennell, Shailaja & Singh, Ajit, 2010. "Globalization, structural adjustment and african agriculture: analysis and evidence," MPRA Paper 39045, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bryceson, Deborah & Sarkar, Prabirjit & Fennel, Shailaja & Singh, Ajit, 2010. "Globalisation, structural adjustment and african agriculture: analysis and evidence," MPRA Paper 39053, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.