Estimates of the value of patent rights in China
AbstractWe estimate the value of Chinese invention and utility model patents that were applied for during two periods, 1987-1989 and 1986-1998. We find that patents applied for by foreign entities invariably have higher value than do those applied for by domestic entities, and the gap is significant. The total value of invention and utility model patents in the 1987 cohort together represent about 40 per cent of China's 1987 governmental R&D budget.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT) in its series MERIT Working Papers with number 004.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Value; Patent; China; Invention Patent; Utility Model Patent; Patent Renewal;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property and Intellectual Capital
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gambardella, Alfonso & Harhoff, Dietmar & Verspagen, Bart, 2008. "The Value of European Patents," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 6848, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc Baudry & Béatrice Dumont, 2006. "Patent Renewals as Options: Improving the Mechanism for Weeding Out Lousy Patents," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 41-62, 02.
- Zhang, Gupeng & Lv, Xiaofeng & Zhou, Jianghua, 2014. "Private value of patent right and patent infringement: An empirical study based on patent renewal data of China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 37-54.
- Lee Branstetter & Guangwei Li & Francisco Veloso, 2014. "The Rise of International Co-invention," NBER Chapters, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, in: The Changing Frontier: Rethinking Science and Innovation Policy National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.