Does leverage influence auditor choice? A cross-country analysis
AbstractThis article investigates the impact of legal environment on the relationship between leverage and auditor choice in 10 European countries. We demonstrate that the relationship between the choice of a high-quality auditor and firm leverage varies significantly across countries. This finding suggests the absence of a systematic demand for auditing to mitigate agency problems between insiders and debtholders. These differences are explained through legal environment indicators. We create in this aim an index to measure auditor liability exposure. Our results provide evidence that the stronger the protection of creditor rights and disclosure requirements, the higher the demand for audit quality by highly-leveraged companies. Inversely, the auditor liability exposure has a negative impact on the link between leverage and auditor choice.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series ULB Institutional Repository with number 2013/14152.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: Applied Financial Economics (2008) v.18 n° 9,p.1-17
Other versions of this item:
- Geraldine Broye & Laurent Weill, 2008. "Does leverage influence auditor choice? A cross-country analysis," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(9), pages 715-731.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Charles Piot & Alain Schatt, 2010.
"La réglementation de l’audit est-elle dans l’intérêt public:quelques enseignements du modèle français,"
Working Papers CREGO, UniversitÃ© de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations
1100606, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- C. Piot & A. Schatt, 2010. "La réglementation de l'audit est-elle dans l'intérêt public : quelques enseignements du modèle français," Post-Print, HAL halshs-00534758, HAL.
- Jamel Azibi & Hubert Tondeur & Mohamed Tahar Rajhi, 2010. "Auditor Choice And Intitutionnel Investor Characteristics After The Enron Scandal In The French Context," Post-Print, HAL hal-00481076, HAL.
- Reheul, Anne-Mie & Van Caneghem, Tom & Verbruggen, Sandra, 2011. "Auditor choice in the Belgian nonprofit sector: a behavioral perspective," Working Papers, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management 2011/36, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.