Trend-cycle decompositions and measures of persistence: does time aggregation matter?
AbstractThis paper shows that temporal aggregation affects estimates of trend-cycle variances and of persistence of shocks to economic variables. The authors analyze UCARIMA models with orthogonal components and show two results. First, they prove that when the decay rates of the autocovariance functions of the trend and the cycle are almost equal, temporal aggregation causes an increase in the trend-cycle variance ratio. Second, the authors show that temporal aggregation may increase or decrease the size of the persistence measure depending on the dynamic shape of the two components in the basic process. Copyright 1991 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series ULB Institutional Repository with number 2013/10163.
Date of creation: Mar 1991
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: The Economic Journal (1991)
Other versions of this item:
- Lippi, Marco & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 1991. "Trend-Cycle Decompositions and Measures of Persistence: Does Time Aggregation Matter?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(405), pages 314-23, March.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aadland, David, 2005.
"Detrending time-aggregated data,"
Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 287-293, December.
- David Aadland, 2002. "Detrending Time-Aggregated Data," Microeconomics 0211015, EconWPA.
- David Aadland, 2002. "Detrending Time-Aggregated Data," Macroeconomics 0301007, EconWPA.
- David Aadland, 2002. "Detrending Time-Aggregated Data," Working Papers 2002-05, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- Pierse, R. G. & Snell, A. J., 1995. "Temporal aggregation and the power of tests for a unit root," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 333-345, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.