Understanding Productivity During the Argentine Crisis
AbstractThis paper studies resource misallocation in the Argentine manufacturing (1997-2002) sector using the methodology of Hsieh and Klenow (2008). The study shows that the potential gains in terms of aggregate total factor productivity of equalizing marginal productivities of factor inputs across firms in narrowly defined industries is between 50% and 55% in relatively normal years, slightly above the 43% found by HK for the US. During the 2002 crisis the reallocation gains climbed to 60/80%. Using HK's concept of TFPR as a measure of wedges in marginal products across firms, we find that the dispersion of wedges across firms in 1997 is similar to the USA one and in 2002 it is 20% higher; and that TFPR is strongly correlated with firm level productivity (and size). Firm productivity and TFPR are positively correlated with size, age, exporting status and foreign ownership, indicating that more productive firms are likely to be larger, older, exporters, foreign owned and have relatively higher marginal products. These results should be taken with caution due to the measurement error introduced by the coarseness of the factor input data available.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Torcuato Di Tella in its series Business School Working Papers with number 2010-04.
Length: 53 pages
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Miñones 2177 - (1428) Buenos Aires
Web page: http://www.utdt.edu/listado_contenidos.php?id_item_menu=4994
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Sobre la Asignación Eficiente de los Factores Productivos
by Sebastian Galiani in Foco Económico on 2012-02-19 12:00:00
- Gita Gopinath & Brent Neiman, 2011.
"Trade adjustment and productivity in large crises,"
11-9, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Gita Gopinath & Brent Neiman, 2011. "Trade Adjustment and Productivity in Large Crises," NBER Working Papers 16958, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brent Neiman & Gita Gopinath, 2011. "Trade Adjustment and Productivity in Large Crises," 2011 Meeting Papers 975, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Flora Bellone & Jérémy Mallen-Pisano, 2013. "Is Misallocation Higher in France than in the United States?," GREDEG Working Papers 2013-38, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolás Del Ponte).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.