Tendencias Recientes de la Inversión Extranjera Directa en Uruguay
AbstractInternational tendencies in Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) show that transnationalization process increased quickly in the last years. Uruguay showed in the nineties a good capacity of attract FDI. However, since the economic recovery after the 2002 crisis, the country saw huge amounts of FDI. The entrance flow of FDI reached in 2007-2008 an annual average of US$ 1,594 millions, equivalent to the 5.5% of the GDP. This paper analyzes the tendencies and evolution of the FDI in the country from the nineties and the economic changes related with the foreign capital and its role in the recent growth phase. We specially discuss if the increase in the FDI could contribute to the growth sustainability in the medium and long term, with the diversification of the productive structure and the incorporation of technology and innovation in the productive processes, increasing high value added exports and improving the trade specialization of Uruguay.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics - dECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 2709.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
Foreign Direct Investment; Transnational Enterprises.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- Y - Miscellaneous Categories
- F10 - International Economics - - Trade - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-19 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Adriana Peluffo, 2013. "Foreign direct investment, productivity, demand for skilled labour and wage inequality: an analysis for Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 13-02, Instituto de Economía - IECON.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio) or (Héctor Pastori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.