El estado de salud del adulto mayor en América Latina
AbstractUtilizing data from the Health, Well-Being, and Aging Survey (La Encuesta sobre Salud,Bienestar, y Envejecimiento), this study analyzes the health status of adults over age 60 in five Latin American countries: Argentina, Brasil, Chile, México, and Uruguay. We employ ordered probit models that allow us to investigate the effects of socioeconomic variables on self-reported health status. The results indicate that self-reported health is positively correlated with good nutrition, more education, and an active lifestyle. Males and those who are satisfied with their current level of income are more likely to report better health. We also find that socioeconomic status early in life influences self-reported health status; this result has important implications for public health policy. Finally, the relationship between socioeconomic measures and self-reported health appears to be relatively consistent across these five countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics - dECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 2006.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
health status; aging; endogeneity;
Other versions of this item:
- R. Todd Jewell & Máximo Rossi & Patricia Triunfo, 2007. "El Estado De Salud Del Adulto Mayor En América Latina," REVISTA CUADERNOS DE ECONOMÍA, UN - RCE - CID.
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-24 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ianina Rossi & Fernanda Tellechea & Fiorella Tramontin & Patricia Triunfo, 2007.
"El estado de salud de los uruguayos,"
Estudios de Economia,
University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 34(1 Year 20), pages 73-96, June.
- R Todd Jewell & Maximo Rossi & Patricia Triunfo, 2006.
"El Estado de Salud de los Jóvenes Uruguayos,"
Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía,
Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 43(128), pages 235-250.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio) or (Héctor Pastori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.