Unemployment and precariousness of employment in Uruguay: who are the losers?
AbstractSome of the main indicators of labor market performance in Uruguay are here analyzed in order to give some insight on which are the most urgent problems to be faced. Unemployment, underemployment, instability of employment and informality have gone up in Uruguay in the late nineties, in spite of the country having grown at a high average annual rate. The individuals that have worsen their relative position in the labor market are identified so that policy implications – both labor and social policies - can be suitably differentiated according to the reasons explaining the process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics - dECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 1601.
Length: 43 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Constituyente 1502, 6to piso, CP 11200, Montevideo
Phone: (598) 2410-6449
Fax: (598) 2410-6450
Web page: http://www.fcs.edu.uy/subcategoria.php?SubCatId=48&CatId=53
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- X. García de Soria & M.F. Rivas & M. Taboada, 2001. "Oferta laboral de las mujeres," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1801, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Ruben Tansini & Patricia Triunfo, 1998. "Eficiencia técnica y apertura externa en el sector manufacturero uruguayo," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0498, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Ruben Tansini & Patricia Triunfo, 1998. "Cambio tecnológico y productividad de las empresas industriales uruguayas," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1298, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Adriana Cassoni & Steven G. Allen & Gaston J. Labadie, 2000. "The Effect of Unions on Employment: Evidence from an Unnatural Experiment in Uruguay," NBER Working Papers 7501, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Adriana Cassoni & Zuleika Ferré, 1997. "Costos no salariales en el mercado de trabajo del Uruguay," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0897, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Adriana Cassoni, 1999. "The wage elasticity of labour demand in the Uruguayan manufacturing sector after re-unionisation: new results," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1499, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Steven G Allen & Adriana Cassoni & Gastón J Labadie, 1996. "Wages and Employment After Reunionization in Uruguay," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 33(99), pages 277-294.
- Helena Croce & Luciana Macedo & Patricia Triunfo, 2000. "Función de costos: un estudio para los bancos comerciales uruguayo," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0300, Department of Economics - dECON.
- World Bank, 2001. "Uruguay : Maintaining Social Equity in a Changing Economy," World Bank Other Operational Studies 15486, The World Bank.
- Adriana Cassoni, 2005. "¿Cuánto empleo están generando las exoneraciones fiscales en el Uruguay?," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 1605, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Nestor Gandelman & Alejandro Rasteletti, 2012. "The Impact of Bank Credit on Employment Formality in Uruguay," Research Department Publications 4778, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Irene Musio) or (Héctor Pastori).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.