Nonparametric Measures of Capacity Utilization: A Dual Approach
AbstractThis paper develops a nonparametric method of obtaining the minimum of the long run average cost curve of a firm to define its capacity output. This provides a benchmark for measuring of capacity utilization at the observed output level of the firm. In the case of long run constant returns to scale, the minimum of the short run average cost curve is determined to measure short run capacity utilization. An empirical application measures yearly rates of capacity utilization in U.S. manufacturing over the period 1968-1998. Nonparametric determination of the short run average cost curve under variable returns to scale using an iterative search procedure is described in an appendix to this paper.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Connecticut, Department of Economics in its series Working papers with number 2002-35.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Connecticut 341 Mansfield Road, Unit 1063 Storrs, CT 06269-1063
Phone: (860) 486-4889
Fax: (860) 486-4463
Web page: http://www.econ.uconn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-12-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2002-12-11 (Econometrics)
- NEP-IND-2002-12-09 (Industrial Organization)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berndt, Ernst R & Morrison, Catherine J, 1981. "Capacity Utilization Measures: Underlying Economic Theory and an Alternative Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 48-52, May.
- Matthew D. Shapiro, 1989. "Assessing the Federal Reserve's Measures of Capacity and Utilization," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 20(1), pages 181-242.
- Kamel HELALI & Maha KALAI, 2013. "Direct and indirect measures of capacity utilization and Economic growth: A nonparametric analysis of the Tunisian industry," E3 Journal of Business Management and Economics., E3 Journals, vol. 4(6), pages 144-155.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kasey Kniffin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.