Revealing the influence of managerial practices and entrepreneurs' characteristics on hotel efficiency
AbstractProductive efficiency in hotels varies greatly. Based on a large dataset on the hotel industry in an Italian region, a two-stage approach was used, first to distinguish the component of inefficiency arising from external factors, linked to destination, and then to isolate the role that firm-level variables play on hotel efficiency. Stage 1 was carried out with non-parametric frontier analysis; stage 2 was based on an econometric model which regresses inefficiency scores on a set of firm-level variables. Investment behavior was found to play an important role, and family management had a negative influence on productive efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Computer and Management Sciences, University of Trento, Italy in its series DISA Working Papers with number 2012/03.
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision: May 2012
Postal: DISA Università degli Studi di Trento via Inama, 5 I-38122 Trento TN Italy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-06-05 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-EFF-2012-06-05 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-TUR-2012-06-05 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hyunbae Chun & Jung-Wook Kim & Randall Morck, 2011. "Varying Heterogeneity among U.S. Firms: Facts and Implications," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 93(3), pages 1034-1052, August.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Lerner, Miri & Haber, Sigal, 2001. "Performance factors of small tourism ventures: The interface of tourism, entrepreneurship and the environment," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 77-100, January.
- Nicholas Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2007.
"Measuring and Explaining Management Practices Across Firms and Countries,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 122(4), pages 1351-1408, November.
- Bloom, Nicholas & Van Reenen, John, 2006. "Measuring and Explaining Management Practices Across Firms and Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 5581, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nick Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Measuring and Explaining Management Practices Across Firms and Countries," NBER Working Papers 12216, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nick Bloom & John Van Reenen, 2006. "Measuring and Explaining Management Practices Across Firms and Countries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0716, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Léopold Simar, 2003. "Detecting Outliers in Frontier Models: A Simple Approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 391-424, November.
- Carlos Pestana Barros & Laurent Botti & Nicolas Peypoch & Bernardin Solonandrasana, 2011. "Managerial efficiency and hospitality industry: the Portuguese case," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(22), pages 2895-2905.
- Jui-Kou Shang & Wei-Ting Hung & Fei-Ching Wang, 2008. "Service outsourcing and hotel performance: three-stage DEA analysis," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(13), pages 1053-1057.
- Chad Syverson, 2011.
"What Determines Productivity?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 49(2), pages 326-65, June.
- Wilson, Paul W, 1993. "Detecting Outliers in Deterministic Nonparametric Frontier Models with Multiple Outputs," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(3), pages 319-23, July.
- Mark Doms & Eric J. Bartelsman, 2000.
"Understanding Productivity: Lessons from Longitudinal Microdata,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 569-594, September.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Mark Doms, 2000. "Understanding productivity: lessons from longitudinal microdata," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Botti, Laurent & Briec, Walter & Cliquet, Gérard, 2009. "Plural forms versus franchise and company-owned systems: A DEA approach of hotel chain performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 566-578, June.
- Jui-Kou Shang & Fei-Ching Wang & Wei-Ting Hung, 2010. "A stochastic DEA study of hotel efficiency," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(19), pages 2505-2518.
- Christopher O’Donnell & D. Rao & George Battese, 2008. "Metafrontier frameworks for the study of firm-level efficiencies and technology ratios," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 231-255, March.
- Valentin Zelenyuk, 2009. "Power of significance test of dummy variables in two-stage efficiency analysis model," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(15), pages 1493-1495.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Gabriele).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.