Multidimensional economic well-being. Is it measurable? The case of Lombardy
AbstractThe definition and measurement of economic well-being is receiving growing attention, both in academic research and policy agenda, as a key issue to provide a solid basis for decision-making at all levels, both national and local. There is general agreement among economists and policy-makers about the necessity to go beyond GDP but the convergence towards a new and wider definition and measurement is far from being reached. This is why research and experiments that try to test different definitions and indicators can help, through empirical results, to the ongoing debate. This paper attempts to measure the multidimensional well-being of the Italian Region Lombardy, for the years 1995-2005, along the lines of the Index of Economic Well-Being (IEWB) proposed by the Centre for the Study of Living Standards (Osberg, 1985; Osberg and Sharpe, 2002, 2005). The evolution of the index is aligned with that of per capita GDP from 1995 to 2001 but diverges in the following period because of the fall of regional per capita GDP and consumption in the period 2002-2005 and a contemporary strong growth of the health dimension and of the level of human capital stock (education).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Public policies and local development in its series Openloc Working Papers with number 0910.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
well-being; composite indicators; development;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cannari Luigi & D'Alessio G., 2002.
"La distribuzione del reddito e della ricchezza nelle regioni italiane,"
Rivista economica del Mezzogiorno,
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 4, pages 809-848.
- Luigi Cannari & Giovanni D'Alessio, 2003. "La distribuzione del reddito e della ricchezza nelle regioni italiane," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 482, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Rentocchini) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Francesco Rentocchini to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.