Optimal Ridge-type Estimators of Covariance Matrix in High Dimension
Abstractã€€ã€€ The problem of estimating the covariance matrix of normal and non-normal distributions is addressed when both the sample size and the dimension of covariance matrix tend to in nity. In this paper, we consider a class of ridge-type estimators which are linear combinations of the unbiased estimator and the identity matrix multiplied by a scalor statistic, and we derive a leading term of their risk functions relative to a quadratic loss function. Within this class, we obtain the optimal ridge-type estimator by minimizing the leading term in the risk approximation. It is interesting to note that the optimal weight is based on a statistic for testing sphericity of the covariance matrix.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-906.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2001.
"Improved estimation of the covariance matrix of stock returns with an application to portofolio selection,"
Economics Working Papers
586, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ledoit, Olivier & Wolf, Michael, 2003. "Improved estimation of the covariance matrix of stock returns with an application to portfolio selection," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 603-621, December.
- Srivastava, Muni S. & Kollo, Tõnu & von Rosen, Dietrich, 2011. "Some tests for the covariance matrix with fewer observations than the dimension under non-normality," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(6), pages 1090-1103, July.
- Konno, Yoshihiko, 2009. "Shrinkage estimators for large covariance matrices in multivariate real and complex normal distributions under an invariant quadratic loss," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(10), pages 2237-2253, November.
- Jushan Bai & Shuzhong Shi, 2011. "Estimating High Dimensional Covariance Matrices and its Applications," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 12(2), pages 199-215, November.
- Fisher, Thomas J. & Sun, Xiaoqian, 2011. "Improved Stein-type shrinkage estimators for the high-dimensional multivariate normal covariance matrix," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(5), pages 1909-1918, May.
- Fan, Jianqing & Fan, Yingying & Lv, Jinchi, 2008. "High dimensional covariance matrix estimation using a factor model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 186-197, November.
- Ledoit, Olivier & Wolf, Michael, 2004. "A well-conditioned estimator for large-dimensional covariance matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 365-411, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.