Mutual Fund Style, Characteristic-Matched Performance Benchmarks and Activity Measures: A New Approach
AbstractWe propose a new approach for measuring mutual fund style and constructing characteristic-matched performance benchmarks that requires only portfolio holdings and two reference portfolios in each style dimension. The characteristic-matched performance benchmark literature typically follows a bottom-up approach by first matching individual stocks with benchmarks and then obtaining a portfolio’s excess return as a weighted average of the excess returns on each of its constituent stocks. Our approach is fundamentally different in that it matches portfolios and benchmarks directly. We illustrate our approach using portfolio holdings of 1183 fund managers over the period 2002-2009. We characterize the cross-section of fund manager styles and show how average style changes over time. The tracking error volatilities of our characteristic-matched benchmarks compare favorably with those of existing methods. Using our benchmarks we explore the link between activity and performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, The University of New South Wales in its series Discussion Papers with number 2010-12.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Australian School of Business Building, Sydney 2052
Fax: +61)-2- 9313- 6337
Web page: http://www.economics.unsw.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Performance Measurement; Tailored Benchmark; Characteristic Matching; Size Profile; Growth Profile; Activity; Excess Return;
Other versions of this item:
- Daniel Buncic & Jon E. Eggins & Robert J. Hill, 2010. "Mutual Fund Style, Characteristic-Matched Performance Benchmarks and Activity Measures: A New Approach," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2010 2010-20, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G23 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Non-bank Financial Institutions; Financial Instruments; Institutional Investors
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-17 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Josef Lakonishok & Louis Chan & Stephen G. Dimmock, 2006.
"Benchmarking Money Manager Performance: Issues and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
12461, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Louis K. C. Chan & Stephen G. Dimmock & Josef Lakonishok, 2009. "Benchmarking Money Manager Performance: Issues and Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(11), pages 4553-4599, November.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Marcin Kacperczyk & Clemens Sialm & Lu Zheng, 2005.
"On the Industry Concentration of Actively Managed Equity Mutual Funds,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 60(4), pages 1983-2011, 08.
- Marcin Kacperczyk & Clemens Sialm & Lu Zheng, 2004. "On the Industry Concentration of Actively Managed Equity Mutual Funds," NBER Working Papers 10770, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Goetzmann, William N., 1997.
"Mutual fund styles,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 373-399, March.
- Simone Brands & Stephen J. Brown & David R. Gallagher, 2005. "Portfolio Concentration and Investment Manager Performance-super-," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 5(3-4), pages 149-174.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriele Gratton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.