Evaluating Mutual Fund Performance
AbstractWe study standard mutual fund performance measures, using simulated funds whose characteristics mimic actual funds. We find that performance measures used in previous mutual fund research have little ability to detect economically large magnitudes (e.g., three percent per year) of abnormal fund performance, particularly if a fund's style characteristics differ from those of the value-weighted market portfolio. Power can be substantially improved, however, using event-study procedures that analyze a fund's stock trades. These procedures are feasible using time-series data sets on mutual fund portfolio holdings. Copyright The American Finance Association 2001.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 56 (2001)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alves, Paulo, 2013. "The Fama French Model or the capital asset pricing model: international evidence," MPRA Paper 51434, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2013.
- Sergio Da Silva & Newton Da Costa, Jr & Joao Tusi & Andre Santos, 2005. "Evaluating Brazilian mutual funds with stochastic frontiers," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 13(2), pages 1-6.
- Bauguess, Scott W. & Moeller, Sara B. & Schlingemann, Frederik P. & Zutter, Chad J., 2009. "Ownership structure and target returns," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 48-65, February.
- Jiang, Wei, 2003. "A nonparametric test of market timing," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 399-425, September.
- Carole Comerton‐Forde & David R. Gallagher & Joyce Lai & Terry Walter, 2011. "Broker recommendations and Australian small‐cap equity fund management," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 51(4), pages 893-922, December.
- Sensoy, Berk A., 2009. "Performance evaluation and self-designated benchmark indexes in the mutual fund industry," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 25-39, April.
- Abel, Ernest & Fletcher, Jonathan, 2004. "An empirical examination of UK emerging market unit trust performance," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 389-408, December.
- Capocci, Daniel & Hubner, Georges, 2004. "Analysis of hedge fund performance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 55-89, January.
- Franck, Alexander & Kerl, Alexander, 2013. "Analyst forecasts and European mutual fund trading," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 2677-2692.
- Glode, Vincent, 2011. "Why mutual funds "underperform"," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 546-559, March.
- Shukla, Ravi, 2004. "The value of active portfolio management," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 331-346.
- Huang, Jing-Zhi & Wang, Ying, 2013. "Should investors invest in hedge fund-like mutual funds? Evidence from the 2007 financial crisis," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 482-512.
- Annaert, Jan & van den Broeck, Julien & Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2003. "Determinants of mutual fund underperformance: A Bayesian stochastic frontier approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 617-632, December.
- Cuthbertson, Keith & Nitzsche, Dirk & O'Sullivan, Niall, 2008. "UK mutual fund performance: Skill or luck?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 613-634, September.
- Mamatzakis, E & Babalos, Vassilios & filipas, n, 2013. "Fund Performance Evaluation in Greece Revisited: Evidence from the Impact of Operational Attributes," MPRA Paper 51640, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lai, Ming-Ming & Lau, Siok-Hwa, 2010. "Evaluating mutual fund performance in an emerging Asian economy: The Malaysian experience," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 378-390, August.
- Chris GROSE & Theodoros KARGIDIS, 2012. "Persistence In Performance For Mutual Funds In Periods Of Crisis," Scientific Bulletin - Economic Sciences, University of Pitesti, vol. 11(1), pages 85-98.
- Wermers, Russ & Yao, Tong & Zhao, Jane, 2012. "Forecasting stock returns through an efficient aggregation of mutual fund holdings," CFR Working Papers 06-09 [rev.], University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.