Multipliers in an Island Economy: The Case of the Azores
AbstractIn this paper we present the interisland input-output system for the Azores. It includes the economy of the nine islands of the archipelago, considering 25 different economic activities. The paper also analyses the impacts of the main drivers of the islands economy incorporating both spillover and feedback effects in the evaluation of the multipliers: i) dairy and beef exports; ii) external public support; and iii) tourism, both from the rest of the country and from abroad. It is shown that: i) the economic structure of the islands is quite different from each other; ii) the specific economic base of the islands are also different and, as expected, the biggest islands not only capture an important part of the impact of external pushes done in smaller islands but also they constitute important drivers of smaller islands.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of São Paulo (FEA-USP) in its series Working Papers, Department of Economics with number 2012_24.
Date of creation: 15 Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Professor Luciano Gualberto, 908 - CEP 05508-900 São Paulo - SP
Web page: http://www.fea.usp.br/feaecon/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Tomaz Ponce Dentinho & Eduardo Amaral Haddad & Vasco Silva & Alexandre Alves Porsse, 2014. "Multipliers In An Island Economy: Thecase Of The Azores," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 174, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R15 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Econometric and Input-Output Models; Other Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clopper Almon, 2000. "Product-to-Product Tables via Product-Technology with No Negative Flows," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 27-43.
- Peter B. Dixon & Maureen T. Rimmer, 2004. "Disaggregation of results from a detailed general equilibrium model of the US to the State level," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-145, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Randall Jackson & Alan Murray, 2004. "Alternative Input-Output Matrix Updating Formulations," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 135-148.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pedro Garcia Duarte).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.