Complex dynamics in a Pasinetti-Solow model of Growth and distribution
AbstractThe one-sector neoclassical growth model (Solow, 1956,RES) can generate only simple dynamics. The dynamic properties of the Solow model follow from the saving behaviour and the neoclassical technology. As shown by Day (1982, AER), when average savings are allowed to vary, the discrete-time version of the Solow model may generate Chaos. Recently, BÃ¶hm and Kaas (2000, JEDC) investigate the dynamics of a discrete-time Solow model with different but constant saving propensities attached to factor shares, wages and profits, and a slightly more general technology than the neoclassical one. Their assumption on saving behaviour corresponds to that proposed by Kaldor (1956, RES). The Solow model so revised gives rise to complex dynamic behaviour. We study some of the properties of a discrete-time version of the two-class model of growth and distribution proposed by Pasinetti (1962, RES) and Samuelson and Modigliani (1966, RES) with a CES production technology. We consider two groups of agents, workers and capitalists. The first saves out of wages and profits by applying to these income sources different propensities to save. Capitalistsâ€™ saving originates only from capital income. The resulting model is two-dimensional. Differently from the one-dimensional model proposed by BÃ¶hm and Kaas, distributive processes occur not only between factor shares but also between the two groups existing in the economy. We identify through simulations a large variety of dynamic behaviours
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 with number 279.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Growth; Endogenous Cycles; Income Distribution;
Other versions of this item:
- Pasquale Commendatore, 2005. "Complex dynamics in a Pasinetti-Solow model of growth and distribution," Macroeconomics 0511006, EconWPA.
- E25 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Aggregate Factor Income Distribution
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Juan Sebastián Pereyra & Juan Gabriel Brida, 2008. "The Solow model in discrete time and decreasing population growth rate," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(41), pages 1-14.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.