Returns to Shareholder Activism
AbstractThis article reports a unique analysis of private engagements by an activist fund. It is based on data made available to us by Hermes, the fund manager owned by the British Telecom Pension Scheme (BTPS), on engagements with management in companies targeted by its U.K. Focus Fund (HUKFF). In contrast with most previous studies of activism, we report that the fund executes shareholder activism predominantly through private interventions that would be unobservable in studies purely relying on public information. The fund substantially outperforms benchmarks and we estimate that abnormal returns are largely associated with engagements rather than stock picking. We categorize the engagements and measure their impact on the returns of target companies and the fund. We find that Hermes frequently seeks and achieves significant changes in the companyâ€™s strategy including refocusing on the core business and returning cash to shareholders, and changes in the executive management including the replacement of the CEO or chairmen.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Oxford Financial Research Centre in its series OFRC Working Papers Series with number 2008fe07.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Shareholder activism; institutional investors; real authority;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-02-16 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lucian A. Bebchuk & Michael S. Weisbach, 2010.
"The State of Corporate Governance Research,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(3), pages 939-961, March.
- Bebchuk, Lucian A. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2009. "The State of Corporate Governance Research," Working Paper Series 2009-21, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Lucian A. Bebchuk & Michael S. Weisbach, 2009. "The State of Corporate Governance Research," NBER Working Papers 15537, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Horst, J.R. ter & Zhang, C., 2007.
"The Price of Ethics: Evidence from Socially Responsible Mutual Funds,"
2007-012, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Renneboog, L.D.R. & Horst, J.R. ter & Zhang, C., 2007. "The Price of Ethics: Evidence from Socially Responsible Mutual Funds," Discussion Paper 2007-29, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Cronqvist, Henrik & Fahlenbrach, Rudiger, 2007.
"Large Shareholders and Corporate Policies,"
Working Paper Series
2006-14, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Cziraki, P. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Szilagyi, P.G., 2009.
"Shareholder Activism through Proxy Proposals: The European Perspective,"
2009-44, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Cziraki, P. & Renneboog, L.D.R. & Szilagyi, P.G., 2009. "Shareholder Activism through Proxy Proposals: The European Perspective," Discussion Paper 2009-019, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Neil Conway & Simon Deakin & Suzzanne J. Konzelmann & Héloïse Petit & Antoine Rebérioux & Frank Wilkinson, 2008. "The Influence of Stock Market Listing on Human Resource Managment: Evidence for France and Britain," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp366, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Gantchev, Nickolay, 2013. "The costs of shareholder activism: Evidence from a sequential decision model," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(3), pages 610-631.
- Szilagyi, P.G., 2007. "Corporate Governance and the Agency Costs of Debt and Outside Equity," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-321510, Tilburg University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.