AbstractAfter presenting the institutional construction during the pre-accession and post-accession to the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU), the exchange rate mechanisms (ERM) in several countries and the convergence criteria, we go on with a brief analysis of the way the CEE countries cope with the convergence criteria in accordance with the Maastricht Treaty. Then, the study deals with a topic often discussed in the scientific literature and included on the agenda of decision-makers at various levels, in order to clarify the following major issues: a shorter transition to the euro, the exchange rate equilibrium versus the inflation rate diminution and the Balassa-Samuelson effect, the exchange rates and the exchange rate deviation index, evidences concerning the real exchange rate equilibrium and the appreciation of the exchange rate in the CEE countries. * Study within the CEEX Programme – Project No. 220/2006 “Economic Convergence and Role of Knowledge in Relation to the EU Integration”.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Institute of Economic Research in its series Studii Economice with number 090703.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Convergence criteria; exchange rate; exchange rate mechanisms; Euro Area; Balassa-Samuelson effect; tradable goods; non-tradable goods; exchange rate deviation index; purchasing power parity.;
Other versions of this item:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- O43 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Institutions and Growth
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-07-28 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MON-2009-07-28 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Avadanei, Andreea, 2011.
"O abodare de ansamblu privind provocările adoptării euro: cazul României
[An overview of euro adoption challenges: the case of Romania]," MPRA Paper 28420, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Iancu, Aurel, 2007. "Economic Convergence. Applications - Second Part -," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 4(4), pages 24-48, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.