Roads on a downhill? Trends in EU infrastructure investment
AbstractThis paper describes long-term trends in public investment and analyses their causes and consequences. This has been undertaken separately for the EU-15 and the new member countries in Central and Eastern Europe. In addition, it assesses the significance of infrastructure finance through public-private partnerships, which are often portrayed as a substitute for traditional public procurement of infrastructure. The conclusion that emerges is that while public investment has been trending down in non-cohesion countries and while public-private partnerships are gaining popularity, the quantitative significance of these developments should not be exaggerated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Investment Bank, Economics Department in its series EIB Papers with number 1/2005.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 06 Jun 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 100, boulevard Konrad Adenauer, L-2950 Luxembourg
Phone: (+352) 43 79 1
Fax: (+352) 43 79 68 895
Web page: http://www.eib.org/efs/
More information through EDIRC
infrastructure investment; public capital;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kappeler, Andreas & Solé-Ollé, Albert & Stephan, Andreas & Välilä, Timo, 2013.
"Does fiscal decentralization foster regional investment in productive infrastructure?,"
European Journal of Political Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 15-25.
- Andreas Kappeler & Albert Solé-Ollé & Andreas Stephan & Timo Välilä, 2012. "Does Fiscal Decentralisation Foster Regional Investment in Productive Infrastructure?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1204, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Andreas Kappeler & Albert Solé-Ollé & Andreas Stephan & Timo Välilä, 2012. "Does fiscal decentralization foster regional investment in productive infrastructure?," Working Papers 2012/32, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Kappeler , Andreas & Solé-Ollé, Albert & Stephan, Andreas & Välilä, Timo, 2012. "Does fiscal decentralization foster regional investment in productive infrastructure?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 273, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Andreas Kappeler & Albert SolÃ©-OllÃ© & Andreas Stephan & Timo VÃ¤lilÃ¤, 2012. "Does fiscal decentralization foster regional investment in productive infrastructure?," ERSA conference papers ersa12p60, European Regional Science Association.
- Elisabetta Iossa & David Martimort, 2008.
"The Simple Micro-Economics of Public-Private Partnerships,"
CEIS Research Paper
139, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 15 Feb 2013.
- Elisabetta Iossa & David Martimort, 2008. "The Simple Micro-Economics of Public-Private Partnerships," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation 08/199, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Yannis Psycharis & Vassilis Tselios, 2012.
"Public investment and regional growth and convergence: Evidence from Greece,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(3), pages 543-568, 08.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Yannis Psycharis & Vassilis Tselios, 2012. "Public investment and regional growth and convergence: Evidence from Greece," Working Papers 2012-05, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Psycharis, Yannis & Rodríguez-Pose, Andrés & Tselios, Vassilis, 2012. "Public investment and regional growth and convergence: Evidence from Greece," CEPR Discussion Papers 9011, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Uppenberg, Kristian & Strauss, Hubert & Wagenvoort, Rien, 2011. "Financing infrastructure," EIB Economic Surveys, European Investment Bank, number 3.
- Hans Pitlik & Margit Schratzenstaller, 2011. "Growth Implications of Structure and Size of Public Sectors," WIFO Working Papers 404, WIFO.
- Inderst, Georg, 2013. "Private infrastructure finance and investment in Europe," EIB Working Papers 2013/02, European Investment Bank (EIB).
- Hans Pitlik, 2010. "Fiscal Governance and Government Investment in Europe since the 1990s," WIFO Working Papers 370, WIFO.
- Blanc-Brude, Frederic & Goldsmith, Hugh & Valila, Timo, 2007. "Public-Private Partnerships In Europe: An Update," Economic and Financial Reports 2007/3, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Schumacher).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.