Knowledge Management in Tourism Organizations: Proposal for an Analytical Model
AbstractTourism is an activity-based service sector in which information and knowledge are fundamental to developing realistic strategies and business plans. This article presents a model that was developed in an investigation called “Organisational Knowledge Management in Tourism Organisations,” which was part of a doctoral degree in Sociology, Faculty of Economics, University of Algarve. This study investigated how Algarve tourist organisations manage knowledge by observing how they create, retain, share and use it. This empirical research is based on a study of three cases that used documental investigation, interviews and questionnaires and the analytic model that is introduced here. We present an analytic model that identifies the different stages of knowledge management (acquisition / knowledge creation, retention / storage, transfer / sharing and use) and the management practices that facilitate it (strategic management, organisational culture, structure and work processes, human resource policies, information systems and communications, evaluation of results and relationship with the environment outside the organisation) based on learning promotion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve in its series Spatial and Organizational Dynamics Discussion Papers with number 2011-5.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: 30 Jun 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Algarve, Faculty of Economics, Campus de Gambelas, 8005-139 Faro, Portugal, email of President of the Centre: email@example.com
Phone: +351 289 244 406
Web page: http://www.cieo.pt/
More information through EDIRC
Knowledge; Organisational Knowledge Management; Facilitating Practices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-11-21 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-KNM-2011-11-21 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-TUR-2011-11-21 (Tourism Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Santos, Joana & Gonçalves, Gabriela & Gomes, Alexandra, 2013. "Organizational Culture and Subjective and Work Well-being. The Case of Employees of Portuguese Universities," Journal of Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve, CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve, vol. 1(3), pages 153-161.
- Orgambídez-Ramos, Alejandro & Mendoza-Sierra, M. Isabel & Giger, Jean-Christophe, 2013. "The Effects of Work Values and Work Centrality on Job Satisfaction. A Study With Older Spanish Workers," Journal of Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve, CIEO-Research Centre for Spatial and Organizational Dynamics, University of Algarve, vol. 1(3), pages 179-186.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvia Fernandes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.