The relationship between happiness and health: evidence from Italy
AbstractWe test the relationship between happiness and self-rated health in Italy. The analysis relies on a unique dataset collected through the administration of a questionnaire to a representative sample (n = 817) of the population of the Italian Province of Trento in March 2011. Based on probit regressions, instrumental variables estimates and structural equations modelling, we find that happiness is strongly correlated with perceived good health, after controlling for a number of relevant socio-economic phenomena. Health inequalities based on income, work status and education are relatively contained in respect to the rest of Italy. As expected, this scales down the role of social capital.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit in its series AICCON Working Papers with number 91-2011.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 26 Aug 2011
Date of revision:
cooperative enterprises; happiness; health; instrumental variables; Italy; life satisfaction; non-profit; social capital; structural equations modelling.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yamamura, Eiji & Andrés, Antonio R., 2011.
"Influence of age of child on differences in marital satisfaction of males and females in East Asian countries,"
32756, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eiji Yamamura & Antonio R. Andrés, 2011. "Influence of age of child on differences in marital satisfaction of males and females in East Asian countries," EERI Research Paper Series EERI_RP_2011_19, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Fabio Sabatini, 2011.
"Who trusts Berlusconi? An econometric analysis of the role of television in the political arena,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2011_08, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Sabatini Fabio, 2011. "Who trusts Berlusconi? An econometric analysis of the role of television in the political arena," wp.comunite 0075, Department of Communication, University of Teramo.
- Sabatini, Fabio, 2011. "Democracy or videocracy? An econometric analysis of the role of television in the Italian political arena," MPRA Paper 31117, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paolo Venturi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.