Development Strategies for Tourism Destinations: Tourism Sophistication vs. Resource Investments
AbstractThis paper investigates the effectiveness of development strategies for tourism destinations. We show that resource investments unambiguously increase tourism revenues and that increasing the degree of tourism sophistication, that is increasing the variety of tourism related goods and services, increases tourism activity and decreases the perceived quality of the destination’s resource endowment, leading to an ambiguous effect on tourism revenues. We disentangle these two effects and characterize situations where increasing the degree of tourism sophistication is a viable development strategy and where it is impracticable without resource investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its series Working Paper Series with number 35_10.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision: Jun 2013
Tourism destination; tourism sophistication; resource investments; tourism demand; development strategy;
Other versions of this item:
- Andergassen Rainer & Candela Guido, 2012. "Development Strategies for Tourism Destinations: Tourism Sophistication vs. Resource Investments," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 173-192.
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Recreation; Tourism
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-11-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CUL-2010-11-27 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-TUR-2010-11-27 (Tourism Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Patuelli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.