The Use of Design in Finnish Manufacturing Firms
AbstractThis study analyzes the use of design and the position of the design function in Finnish manufacturing firms. We also study the impact of design on companies business performance. The paper is based on a survey directed to the member companies of the Confederation of Finnish Industries (EK) in November-December 2005. According to the results, design use in manufacturing companies is still on a relatively low level. Design use varies clearly among analyzed companies, though. Results show that the nature of design use and the position of the design function explain the influence of design on business notably. The impact of design on business through most studied effect channels, such as increase in sales, is statistically significantly higher in those companies in which design is an integrated part of the companys core functions and strategy, and in which design is used continuously. Results also indicate that the use of design in manufacturing firms in Finland will increase in the forthcoming years (2005-2010).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series Discussion Papers with number 1017.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-05-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2006-06-14 (Innovation)
- NEP-TID-2006-05-29 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.