A New Form of the Information Matrix Test
AbstractWe develop a new form of the information matrix test for a wide variety of statistical models, and present full details for the special case of univariate nonlinear regression models. Chesher (1984) showed that the implicit alternative of the information matrix test is a model with random parameter variation. We exploit this fact by constructing the test against an explicit alternative of this type. The new test is computed using a double-length artificial regression, instead of the more conventional outer product of the gradient regression, which, although easy to use, is known to give test statistics with distributions very far from the asymptotic nominal distribution even in rather large samples. The new form on the other hand performs remarkably well, at least in the context of regression models. Some approximate finite-sample distributions are calculated and lend support to the use of the new form of the test.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen's University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 724.
Length: 30 pages
Date of creation: 1988
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Econometrica, 60, 1992
information matrix; IM test; double-length regression; DLR;
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chesher, Andrew & Dumangane, Montezuma & Smith, Richard J., 2002. "Duration response measurement error," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 169-194, December.
- Christian Bontemps & Nour Meddahi, 2002.
"Testing Normality: A GMM Approach,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Bontemps, Christian & Meddahi, Nour, 2005. "Testing Normality: a GMM Approach," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- BONTEMPS, Christian & MEDDAHI, Nour, 2002. "Testing Normality : A GMM Approach," Cahiers de recherche 2002-14, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Joachim Zietz, 2006.
"Detecting neglected parameter heterogeneity with Chow tests,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(6), pages 369-374.
- Joachim Zietz, 2005. "Detecting Neglected Parameter Heterogeneity with Chow Tests," Working Papers 200503, Middle Tennessee State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Dhaene, Geert & Hoorelbeke, Dirk, 2002.
"The information matrix test with bootstrap-based covariance matrix estimation,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/121580, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Dhaene, Geert & Hoorelbeke, Dirk, 2004. "The information matrix test with bootstrap-based covariance matrix estimation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 341-347, March.
- Geert Dhaene & Dirk Hoorelbeke, 2002. "The Information Matrix Test with Bootstrap-Based Covariance Matrix Estimation," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0211, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Francisco Cribari-Neto, 1996. "On the Corrections to Information Matrix Tests," Econometrics 9601001, EconWPA.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 2001.
1038, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Dirk Hoorelbeke, 2004. "Bootstrap correcting the score test," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 228, Econometric Society.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Spitz, Alexandra, 2000. "Quantification of qualitative data using ordered probit models with an application to a business survey in the German service sector," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-58, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Prokhorov, Artem, 2008.
"A goodness-of-fit test for copulas,"
9998, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:aah:aarhec:1997-17 is not listed on IDEAS
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1994.
"Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests,"
903, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G, 1998. "Graphical Methods for Investigating the Size and Power of Hypothesis Tests," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Stomberg, Christopher & White, Halbert, 2000. "Bootstrapping the Information Matrix Test," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt158451cr, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Teodosio Perez Amaral, 1994. "Una aplicación de los contrastes M y de la matriz de información dinámica: el caso de la demanda de dinero norteamericana 1960-1984," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 18(1), pages 193-201, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.